Causes and treatments for tears in the corners of dogs’ eyes
Reason 1: Ear infection
When many people hear this, they will inevitably wonder what is the relationship between the tears in the eyes and the ears. Actually, the relationship between them is very big, and this is the most common cause of tears in dogs.
When the ear canal is infected by bacteria, viruses, molds, or parasites, or the ears are swollen, painful, or itchy, it will cause dogs to scratch their ears frequently with their hind feet, and because the facial nerves are interlaced with the facial nerves. It is a very sensitive area, because the deep pain in the ear canal will extend to the eye area, and at the same time it will stimulate the lacrimal gland secretion. When too much tear cannot be discharged from the nasolacrimal duct, it will come from the corner of the eye near the nose Spill, after a long period of accumulation, brown tear stains on the hair will appear very obvious.
Treatment: Ask the doctor to diagnose the cause of the ear canal infection, and then choose the correct treatment method. Don’t buy ear medicine for treatment by yourself. As a result, the ear disease becomes resistant and it is more difficult to treat the ear disease. After the ear canal disease is treated, the tears are no longer secreted, and the tear marks should disappear automatically at this time.
Reason 2: blocked nasolacrimal duct
Inflammation and swelling of the nasolacrimal duct is caused by infection, causing the entire duct to be completely blocked or incompletely blocked. As a result, the tears cannot be discharged from the nasolacrimal duct normally, and they will overflow naturally, which will result in an unsightly appearance. Tears.
Treatment method: Generally speaking, the veterinarian will recommend antibiotics for treatment, coupled with minor surgery to open the nasolacrimal duct, the disease should be improved; the treatment method and frequency will vary according to the degree of symptoms. It may take several rounds to unblock the nasolacrimal duct to solve the problem of blocked nasolacrimal duct.
Reason three: inverted eyelids
Inverted eyelids, also known as inverted eyelashes, can cause eyelashes to constantly irritate the cornea. This situation makes the eyes feel very uncomfortable, and then frequently scratches the eyes with the forelimbs, and therefore often see them appear teary. , It can also cause very serious tears.
Treatment method: The treatment of inverted eyelids usually involves surgery to solve this problem, which is commonly known as “double eyelid cutting” plus electric scalping of the eyelash follicles, which can effectively solve this problem.
Reason 4: Lacrimal gland inflammation
The main reason is that the lacrimal glands that secrete tears are infected, causing the abnormal secretion of tears, and the nasolacrimal ducts have no time to clear so many tears, which will cause tears to flow out, and over time will also form unsightly tear marks.
◎Treatment method: The common method is to use drugs to control, the treatment period depends on the severity of the condition, which may range from five days to four weeks.
Reason five: genetic problems
Primary hyperplasia is a hereditary disease. The tears are often over secreted, which makes it easy to cause tear stains.
Reason six: special breed dogs
This phenomenon usually occurs in short-nosed dog breeds (such as pugs, Shih Tzu, and Japanese cruel dogs). Because of this type of dog, the curvature of the nasolacrimal duct becomes very large, so the amount of tears discharged is limited, even if it is The normal secretion of tears can’t be loaded, and it will cause unsightly tear marks and even black eye frames.
The solution for dogs to remove tear marks
1. For ear canal infection: You can ask the doctor to diagnose the cause of the ear canal infection, and then choose the correct treatment method. Don’t buy ear medicine for treatment by yourself. As a result, the ear disease becomes resistant and it is more difficult to treat the ear disease. . After the ear canal disease is treated, the tears are no longer secreted, and the tear marks should disappear automatically at this time.
2. For blockage of the nasolacrimal duct: Generally speaking, the veterinarian will recommend antibiotics for treatment, coupled with minor surgery to unblock the nasolacrimal duct, the disease should be improved; the treatment method and frequency will follow Depending on the degree of symptoms, it may take several rounds to unblock the nasolacrimal duct to solve the problem of blocked nasolacrimal duct.
3. Aiming at inverted eyelids: In the treatment of inverted eyelids, surgery is usually performed to solve this problem, which is commonly known as “double eyelid cutting”, plus electric lashes and hair follicles can be effectively solved.
4. Aiming at lacrimal gland inflammation: the common way is to use drugs to control, and the treatment period depends on the severity of the condition, which may range from five days to four weeks.
5. Aiming at genetic problems: there is no special way for the time being, we can only give more care to the dog. The method is to use a 2% boric acid cotton ball (cold water can also be used) to gently wipe from the inner corner of the eye outwards. You can’t wipe back and forth on the eyes. One cotton ball is not enough, you can change another one until the eyes are cleaned. After scrubbing, put eye drops or ointment into the dog’s eyes to eliminate inflammation.
6. Eye corner cleaning: pay attention to clean the hair around the eyes, do not let the burrs into the eyes to stimulate the secretion of tears. In addition, you can use sterile eye drops to clean your eyes once a day for 10 consecutive days.
Contains important omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA, which help hair growth and pigmentation for healthy skin. Vitamins A and D are essential substances for the growth and development of dogs, especially for the development of fetuses and weaning dogs, the integrity of epithelial tissues, vision, blood calcium and phosphorus, and the growth and development of bones and teeth. It is helpful for the treatment of joint diseases. , Rickets rickets, control lacrimal gland secretion.
How to eliminate Shar Pei’s tears
1. Take a clean towel and use warm water to wipe around the eyes of the dog every day. Pay special attention to the eye sockets, which are especially easy to hide dirt.
2. Trim the hair around the eyes to prevent the hair from irritating the conjunctiva and causing tears.
3. If the eyes are too dry or there are too many secretions, you can use artificial tears to instill the eyes or use saline to rinse and clean. This principle is the same as that of people washing their faces every day, and dogs don’t know how to wash their faces by themselves. They must be taken care of by their owners!
4. Doing eye massage three times a week, on the one hand, can make the dog feel comfortable and enhance the relationship between the dog and the owner, on the other hand, it can help the nasolacrimal duct to flow and reduce the appearance of tear marks.